Not being able to engage in meaningful roles and activities can have a significant impact on your health and wellbeing. Sometimes, this is can be more disheartening than the actual injury/illness itself. Occupational therapy is about improving everyday living and functioning. This can be related to home, work, school, hobbies, interests or independence/life skills. An occupational therapist takes a look at the whole person (who you are, what you do and where you are) and together, they help find solutions and strategies so a person can return to activities that are important to them.
At Proactive Therapy, our occupational therapist specialises in chronic / persistent pain management, particularly with children and young people. The emphasis is on improving function first because addressing important aspects of healthy living, getting back to meaningful activities and learning practical skills can positively influence recovery. She can help with:
- Pain education
- Goal setting and problem solving
- Activity focused self-management techniques such as pacing, graded activity planning, ergonomics and activity adaptations
- Self-regulation such as relaxation and mindfulness
- Pain rehabilitation such as desensitisation and graded motor imagery
- Pain management plans for home, school and work
- Working with significant others to promote self-management support
- Chronic Disease Management Plan (CDMP) can provide a rebate for occupational therapy services. Please discuss this plan with your GP before making an appointment. *This plan is available for use with physiotherapy and other allied health, conditions apply. For more information: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/mbsprimarycare-chronicdisease-pdf-infosheet
Private Health Insurance:
- Occupational therapy services may be covered in your private health insurance policy and extras cover – please check with your insurance provider.
Useful Pain Management Resources:
- ACI Pain Management Network – Chronic Pain Website https://www.aci.health.nsw.gov.au/chronic-pain
Work with Huong
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving” (Albert Einstein).
Huong is passionate about helping people with persistent pain regain control over their pain and supporting them to lead a healthy and happy life. She is an experienced occupational therapist and has been fortunate to specialise her skills from working in paediatric, adolescent and adult persistent pain services in south-east QLD. Huong has done courses in Explain Pain & GMI, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, ACT and Circle of Security. She is a member of Occupational Therapy Australia and Australian Pain Society. Huong has a collaborative approach to working with people and warmly offers her occupational therapy services in the community. Please contact reception if you would like to book and appointment with Huong or would like to speak to Huong directly.